24 April 2016

On retreat, part 1

So, a lot to digest mentally after this retreat. First of all, I arrived to find out that it was one of "noble silence," meaning no speaking to other retreatants, NOR even looking at others in the eye. That was hard for a lonely soul like me, craving human connection.

At first. Then I understood better.

The last hour of the retreat we were allowed to speak to each other. An older woman came up to me and said, "The other day you were sitting on the grass by the beach [which, as an aside, ended secretly with me getting stabbed in the butt with many burrs]." She continued, "The wind was blowing, and your hair was flowing, and you looked absolutely beautiful, and I wanted to say something." There I was in old, faded yoga pants, unkempt, wild frizz hair, and not a lick of makeup. In other words, I wasn't trying, wasn't even conscious of my appearance. And, I was informed I was beautiful. The essence which is me. What a wonderful thing to tell a lonely girl sitting on the beach with burrs poking through her yoga pants.



All pictures hereafter were taken surreptitiously.

No comments:

Post a Comment