14 March 2011

A Knitted Wonderland




















The first time I saw an object wearing a colorful sweater was in 2005, in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. I was trudging up the steep street from my apartment to the grocery store, and lo and behold! My eyes feasted upon a street sign whose pole was "wearing" a Coogi style knit. My heart smiled. I enjoyed this new new form of street art--so whimsical, and for some reason, more respectful than an amateur graffiti tag.

I'm a treehugger. Unabashed. Avowed. Period. As evinced by blog entry after blog entry on this website, nature brings me great joy, and I love to see nature loved. That's why I was so excited when I heard last fall that this art exhibit was coming to the Blanton museum in Austin. About 100 knitters worked hard under artist Magda Sayeg's vision to embrace 99 tree trunks in front of the museum with knitted sweaters. Amid the motley designs covering the tree trunks, children were playing with, running around, and hugging the adorned arbors. Grown-up kids (like me) were doing the same, practically. It was fun.





























































No comments:

Post a Comment