18 January 2011

Cathedral of Junk




















No really, that's the name of this magical place.

Sometimes I find myself thinking that Austin isn't as weird as it likes to think it is. Or rather, I fear that the weirdness is being usurped by gentrification, suburbanizers, and normies. BUT THEN, I learn of a place like the Cathedral of Junk. What started as a pack rat/artist's yard collection (a common and cool theme here--which I love) turned into a city ordinance violation. The artist then worked with architects and lawyers to make a public art piece/set of buildings and structures (that you can walk through and explore) in his very own back yard.

If Austin really wants to solidify its status as a den of weird, then I think the local government ought to make the Cathedral of Junk its new city hall. I'm totally taking any future visitors here to experience its oodles of knickknackery; I could explore it for hours!



























































No comments:

Post a Comment